What does climate change mean for Big Local areas and what actions can be taken at a local level?
The rate at which we are changing our climate means that many people are now declaring a climate emergency. Already there is an increase in global temperatures, a change in the weather and an impact on the ecosystems upon which we depend – and it’s an emergency because it is unavoidable.
This second learning event in our Love your Environment series will focus on what climate change means for Big Local communities and actionable steps that can be taken at a local level. We will focus on renewable energy production, as an example of an action that can reduce fossil fuel use and support your community to be more resilient. On the day, we will be discussing:
- How will climate change impact our individual areas?
- What will it mean for our day to day lives and especially for the most vulnerable people?
- What actions can we take individually and collectively?
- What we can do to both conserve energy and produce energy from renewable sources?
- What will the government do, and how will that affect us?
We are excited to be in Bristol for this event, chosen because it is home to some inspiring energy projects and gives us access to great expertise about climate change. Details about the venue will be announced in September.
- Hear from the Big Local areas attending about what their interest and related activity.
- Hear from a climate change and energy specialist
- Visit and hear from inspiring community level projects that are addressing the climate emergency and generating their own energy.
- We also hope to hear more about the Lottery’s Climate Action Fund that will be launched in the Autumn
There will be lots of opportunity to share ideas and experiences with other Big Local residents, to discuss the issues with experts and to share a tasty lunch.
This event is being organised for Local Trust by Big Local reps, Julian Mellor and Margaret Jackson. To book a place please click here. Please note, this event is part of a series of one-off events about environmental issues for Big Local Areas. The next events will be in January 2020, April 2020 and July 2020. The events will cover (not in order)
- Water Bodies
- The lived environment
- Air Pollution and its’s causes
If you have any questions or need further information you can email us.
More about this event
The event is free for anyone who lives or works in a Big Local area and we will provide lunch. We also provide financial support for travel, childcare and other care costs to residents in Big Local areas. We can also book and pay for travel in advance. For information on expenses and support, please email us email@example.com or phone 020 3588 0565
If you are attending a Big Local event as part of your paid work/employment then we ask that your employer cover your expenses. However, we can pay or contribute towards worker’s expenses in exceptional circumstances. Please ask when booking for further information.