About this event
*Please note that this event is now fully-booked*
It is for people in Big Local areas who want to:
- hear from Big Local areas who have real and current experience of strategies / methods of engaging with local employment opportunities (including connecting with large scale developments, and supporting small enterprises and self-employment)
- share what works for influencing and securing jobs and employment locally; and lessons learned
- take a toolkit back home to their Big Local areas.
This event will bring together areas at various stages of developing their ‘jobs, enterprise and employment’ programmes to share experience, good practice and learning and tools. It will focus on ways of engaging stakeholders who can help to progress employment opportunities for Big Local residents. It will enable discussion on the full range of employment and job options available that could be suitable to your local needs including:
- Social enterprise – what is the role of social enterprise within my Big Local area?
- Micro business – what are they and how can they be developed, supported?
- Workers’ co-operatives – what does this mean and how do co-operatives work?
- Self-employment – how can residents be supported and businesses run by local people networked across Big Local areas?
- Larger regeneration schemes near Big Local areas – how can you get the best for your residents?
The event will also support Big Local areas to discuss their next steps, with real examples of where employment and jobs can ‘fit’ in the delivery of their Big Local plan in their area.
Tea and coffee and registration
Introductions to each other and the workshop
What are areas are engaged in, in relation to employment?
Facilitated discussion (using the World Café model) on the range of employment and job options available that are suitable to local needs and residents
Report back – What are areas engaged in, a success and challenge from each World Café table
Expert panel discussion
To share experience, good practice and learning around stakeholder engagement to progress employment opportunities for Big Local Residents;
Share both new and existing tools and ideas for deciding:
Action! Bringing together practical ideas and lessons from the day so far, a problem-solving activity unpicking specific barriers, and developing ‘next steps’ for each participant to take back to their area and implement.
Top Tips, workshop reflection and evaluation
More about this event
The event is free for anyone who lives or works in a Big Local area and we will provide lunch. We also provide financial support for travel, childcare and other care costs to residents in Big Local areas. We can also book and pay for travel in advance. For information on expenses and support, please contact Wendy Joynes by email on email@example.com or phone 020 3588 0565. If you are attending a Big Local event as part of your paid work/employment then we ask that your employer cover your expenses. However, we can pay or contribute towards worker’s expenses in exceptional circumstances. Please ask when booking for further information.
Interested in participating? Want more information?
This event is being organised for Local Trust by Big Local reps Sian Penner and Wendy Sugarman. There are a maximum of 30 places available. To ensure as many areas can take part as possible we are initially limiting places to four per area. To book a place or if you have any questions please email Vicky Tedder – firstname.lastname@example.org or call Wendy 07932 730477 or Sian 07973 530240.