Closing date: 30 April 2019
Salary: £31,000 to £39,000 depending on experience (based on a 36hr week)
As part of a dynamic, engaged in-house research team, this role manages an ambitious programme of research via contracts with researchers and research organisations and supports the Head of Research and Learning in ensuring the effective evaluation of the Big Local programme and generating and sharing learning capable of informing and influencing wider policy and practice in relation to communities.
Job description (key duties)
- Manage and support the design and delivery of research and learning from outsourced providers, ensuring they are meeting contractual obligations and adding value to the research and learning at Local Trust
- Design and deliver robust and timely research as required, that evaluates and identifies the learning from the Big Local Programme.
- Support a cohesive and comprehensive approach to identifying and disseminating the learning from the Big Local Programme to a diverse range of external and internal audiences.
- Ensure that the gathering of evaluation data and the research uses valid and robust qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Produce high quality, user-friendly and accessible reports, summaries and blogs presenting findings in suitable formats and in line with Local Trust’s communications strategy.
- Support a close working relationship with the programmes team to integrate learning across the research and programme delivery functions at Local Trust.
- Design and deliver training in self-evaluation and research as needed.
- Work with the communications team to ensure learning is proactively shared, particularly across influential policy makers; funders; and others involved in community development.
- In line with our values, maintain an external profile using blogging, speaking events, social media etc. ensure an on-going interest in the learning from Big Local areas.
- Work with the head of research and learning to proactively consider research and learning needs at Local Trust.
- Support the consideration of innovation and the re-design of processes to further improve Local Trust’s research and learning offer.
- Act as a team player, contribute to organisational wide work and initiatives.
- As a member of the Local Trust staff team you will need to:
- demonstrate Local Trust’s vision and values in your daily work
- consistently contribute to organisation-wide learning drawing on experience gained in your role, and similarly seek to learn from the work of colleagues to inform your work
- actively look outward and engage with the widest range of external stakeholders to influence, inform and excite others about the work of Local Trust and Big Local
- take a proactive role in promoting equality and anti-discriminatory practice
- help Local Trust deliver its environment and sustainable development policy and environmental management system
- be aware that you have a duty of care for the health and safety of yourself and others.
While these are your main areas of responsibility, no role profile can cover every eventuality. As this is a post in a small staff team, you are expected to offer flexibility as we may reasonably require you to support other tasks from time to time.
Knowledge and experience
- Experience of managing contracts to deliver research and evaluation using a range of quantitative and qualitative methods, ensuring value and quality.
- Experience of direct delivery of robust and timely research and evaluation in a work setting, preferably the voluntary/community or public sector.
- Relevant post-graduate degree or equivalent working experience. Prior work experience in the voluntary. community sector, community development, grant giving or in social policy.
- Experience of using software packages for research, evaluation and data management.
- Excellent IT skills with a good working knowledge of all Microsoft packages.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders to secure buy-in and support on projects.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent contract management skills.
- Excellent research skills, able to gather and analyse data appropriately and accurately.
- Exceptional writing skills, able to write clearly and accessibly even when dealing with complex matters.
- Excellent and creative communication skills, an engaging speaker, able to enthuse audiences.
- Able to work flexibly and respond quickly to changing demands.
- Confident and approachable, gives professional advice and is accountable for that advice.
- A team player, open to learning and supporting others.
- Cares about quality of work, takes pride.
- Can work with autonomy and is used to using initiative.
- Able to rely upon own judgement and knows when to seek further assistance.
- Has a ‘can-do’ and proactive approach to service delivery, willing to go the extra mile.
- Able to deal with multiple projects and determine priorities.
- Commitment to equality and diversity.
- Willing to work occasional evenings and travel as required.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and supporting statement explaining why you are interested in this role, detailing how you are a good candidate for this post and how you fulfil the person specification to email@example.com putting SENIOR RESEARCHER in the subject line.Download PDF