Senior communications officer
Closing date: 10 June 2019
Salary: £34,000 - £39,000 (based on a 36hr week)
The senior communications officer supports the head of communications to ensure that we build effective relationships with our internal and external audiences by developing and delivering a programme of interesting and engaging content and activities. They work closely with all Local Trust teams to ensure the breadth of Local Trust's work reaches our target audiences, and lead on internal planning within the team.
Job description (key duties)
- Identify and develop high quality communications opportunities for Local Trust to raise our external profile, working collaboratively with all Local Trust teams and external partners.
- Plan, organise and coordinate activity within the communications team to deliver timely and impactful engagement with our audiences, ensuring there is a flow of interesting news, stories and content across our digital and offline channels.
- Recruit and line manage our communications intern, ensuring they grow in their role, deliver on targets and contribute to the team effectively.
- Take responsibility for delegated projects and contracts, for example our essay series, Voices of Big Local storytelling project, photography commissions, journalist-at-large fellowship and other projects as required.
- Work directly with suppliers to develop and deliver high quality digital and print assets, (such as film, photography, graphics, reports) including agreeing briefs, writing copy, editing, proofing and managing production, on budget and on time.
- Edit our monthly newsletter, our annual print newspaper Extra Local and our annual report. Write web copy, blogs (internal and external). Play a leading role in a project restructuring our news approach, switching from scheduled e-newsletters to targeted, responsive mailings.
- Run all of our social media accounts, learning from metrics to improve performance, and support a small group of colleagues to contribute content and enhance our social media presence.
- Lead on establishing and maintaining media relationships by preparing press releases, developing contacts, pitching stories, and increasing media coverage.
- Organise events to showcase the programme including our roundtable series and occasional partnership and project events, and contribute to the success of our national event, Big Local Connects.
- Through face to face visits and frequent contact build strong relationships with Big Local areas, find compelling stories and storytellers, and provide direct communications support on request.
- Ensure that the Local Trust brand and identity is applied consistently across the organisation and all its communications.
- Act as a team player, contribute to organisation-wide work and initiatives.
- As a member of the Local Trust staff team you will need to:
- Commit to and demonstrate our vision and values in your daily work;
- Take a proactive role in promoting equality and anti-discriminatory practice;
- Help us to deliver our environment and sustainable development policy; and
- Be aware that you have a duty of care for the health and safety of yourself and others.
Knowledge and experience
- Experience of developing and delivering a broad programme of communications activities in collaboration with internal teams and external partners
- Experience of coordinating a team working on multiple concurrent projects and planning content for sharing across several channels
- Experience of commissioning engaging content, writing briefs and delivering multiple creative projects, including print, film, photography and other media
- Experience of editing and writing a newsletter or regular blog, increasing followers and building a loyal and engaged online audience
- Experience of organising events and promoting them online
- Experience of writing press releases, pitching stories and increasing media coverage
- Experience of daily management of organisational social media accounts, including scheduling posts, monitoring and responding to comments
- Experience of managing others
- Experience of managing external contracts, ensuring value and quality.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent creative communication skills, able to adapt content for different audiences, formats and channels.
- Excellent understanding of what makes a good story and the ability to write exceptional, engaging copy.
- Strong visual awareness, understanding of what makes a good photo, and familiarity with video and image editing software.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, able to build relationships, win the support of others and lead within a collaborative team environment
- Project management skills, including the ability to identify milestones, manage dependencies, support contributors and sign off processes
- Confident use of team planning, email marketing, CMS and social media scheduling tools.
- Outward focused, curious and interested in people from different backgrounds and places
- Highly organised and comfortable managing concurrent projects
- Able to work flexibly, determine priorities and respond quickly to changing demands.
- Well attuned to issues and topics that may be personally, locally or politically sensitive
- A team player, open to learning and supporting others
- Attention to detail and takes pride in delivering consistent, high quality work
- Has a ‘can do’ and proactive approach, ready to find and suggest solutions
- Commitment to equality and diversity.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and supporting statement explaining why you are interested in this role, detailing how you are a good candidate for this post and how you fulfill the person specification by email to email@example.com and putting SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER in the subject line.