Director of partnerships
Closing date: 14 December 2018
Job title: Director of partnerships
Accountable to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: Head of Research and team; Head of Communications and team; Partnerships Coordinator. Significant research, communications and partnership budget.
Purpose of the role
The Director of Partnerships has primary responsibility for the delivery of Local Trust’s key strategic objectives of ensuring that it is outward looking and partnership focused - prioritising the building of new collaborations and partnerships and supporting the team maintain existing ones; and Influential, connected and informed - contributing to, influencing and informing wider debates on the future of communities drawing on learning and insight from Big Local.
Job description (key duties)
- Support the CEO and others to develop and effectively manage Local Trust’s strategic relationships with key external partners and stakeholders
- Identify opportunities and establish Local Trust’s external partnerships and relationships, promoting Local Trust’s voice, profile and influence
- Grow the range of strong, value-based relationships and networks we have invested in and the range of skills and expertise we - and local areas - can draw upon to support Big Local working collaboratively across the organisation, and in particular the programmes team.
- Create internal and external value through positive collaboration with funders, delivery agents, and other stakeholders - including, where appropriate, the development of new funding and other collaborative projects and programmes
- Draw on all of the organisation’s skills and expertise to develop and promote external perceptions of Local Trust as a centre of expertise in supporting hyper-local, place-based, resident-led change.
- Provide strategic support to the Head of Research and Head of Communications in delivering their mission-critical roles, adding both value within the business and as critical contributors to our external credibility and profile.
- As part of the senior management team, contribute to the creation of a positive, creative, collaborative culture within Local Trust that recognises opportunities, is proactive, questioning and challenging of assumptions and practice, and always looking for ways to improve the way we work together and with others.
We expect you, as a member of the Local Trust staff team, to:
- Demonstrate the organisation’s vision and values in your daily work
- Consistently adopt an outward looking approach to your role, building Local Trusts external relationships, visibility and influence wherever possible
- Take a proactive role in promoting equality and anti-discriminatory practice
- Help Local Trust deliver its environment and sustainable development policy
- Be aware that you have a duty of care for the health and safety of yourself and others
Local Trust job descriptions are subject to amendment from time to time, in consultation with the individual concerned and in line with the organisation’s needs.
- Extensive experience developing and creating value-adding partnerships across multiple organisations and sectors
- Experience representing organisations at a strategic level, and effectively communicating messages to a range of audiences, both in writing and face to face
- Experience effectively managing and balancing multiple stakeholder relationships at a strategic level
- A track record of supporting and promoting innovation in the delivery of organisational objectives
- Strong existing networks and connections of relevance to the work of Local Trust and Big Local
- Proven experience effectively working within a team at a senior level, including with trustees and senior colleagues
- Experience leading staff teams in an environment that prioritises autonomy, delegation and cross-organisation collaboration
- Understanding of the dynamics and challenges of working with place-based organisations and the wider community, not-for-profit or social enterprise sector
- Experience of working at a senior level within a large-scale grant giver or similar operational environment
Education/training/previous work experience
- Relevant degree/professional qualification or equivalent work experience
- Excellent communication skills (including writing and oral presentation skills) capable of being applied across a wide range of audiences, to a high standard
- Proven ability to engage, represent and negotiate at a strategic level with a wide range of organisations, interest groups and stakeholders
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to work with a significant staff team, as well as with senior colleagues on a cross-organisation basis
- Deep understanding of current policy context around the future of communities. Thorough understanding of emerging policy thinking around devolution, empowerment and place.
- Ability to confidently build and maintain professional relationships
- Significant personal accountability, with the ability to work on your own initiative with a high level of autonomy, as well as in partnership with others
- Ability to maintain high standards of work, through self-evaluation, seeking feedback from others, and self-initiated professional development
- A flexible, entrepreneurial approach to your work, and a constant willingness to challenge, reinvent and innovate in order to increase impact and effectiveness
- Ability to travel, as required, throughout England and to stay away from home
How to apply
To apply for this role, please provide the following documents:
- An up to date CV
- A supporting statement (maximum 2 pages) that outlines your interest in this particular organisation and role, and your fit against the essential experience criteria set out in the Person Specification
Please email your application to CharitiesandSocialEnterprise@green-park.co.uk by no later than 9am on Friday 14 December 2018.
If you want to know more about Terms of Employment, the role or selection process, please contact our Executive Search partners, Green Park on CharitiesandSocialEnterprise@green-park.co.uk or 0207 399 3252, and ask for Gala de Zulueta.
All applications will be acknowledged via the domain name CharitiesandSocialEnterprise@green-park.co.uk. Please check spam filters to ensure no communication is lost.